Persatuan C.H.I.L.D. (Caring and Helping Individuals Learn and Develop) Sabah is a non-profit organisation, formed in October 1995 and registered with the Registrar of Societies (ROS 1069) in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. C.H.I.L.D Sabah is also a member of the Sabah Council of Social Services, an agency under the Ministry of Health and Wellbeing.
C.H.I.L.D. Sabah has over 20 years of experience with individuals, especially children with Autism and other learning disabilities. C.H.I.L.D. Sabah subscribes to the universal belief that all individuals are born equal regardless of their abilities (or disabilities) and have the rights to education and development (bio-psychosocially).
Since its formation, C.H.I.L.D. Sabah had undertaken the following activities, some of which are on going:
- Set up a learning centre for children with learning difficulties in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
- Assisted in setting up an early intervention centre in Keningau, Sabah. (Both centres in Kota Kinabalu and Keningau are now under the management of capable non-government organisations who share the same interests).
- Provides professional support from a Multi Disciplinary Services in the field of Speech Language Therapy, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Psychology.
- Organises awareness and acceptance programs on Autism on a yearly basis since 2004, such as talks, workshops, training for parents, and the Walk for Autism Sabah.
- Provides talks and training for teachers with regards to Autism and other learning disabilities since 1996.
- Set up a community-based workshop (Puzzle Prints) that provides employment for young adults with Autism and other disabilities, making them independent contributors to society.
In the long run, C.H.I.L.D. Sabah aims to set up an Outreach Resource Program (ORP) that provides an avenue for the public to seek information, advice and assistance to issues on Autism and other learning disabilities.